Friday, December 08, 2006

SCHOOL

Today was Sara's first day of class. I decided to stay with her all day to make sure she was comfortable. Her teacher Ms. Ridelhubner helped Sara get her binder and all of her school supplies put away, assigned a locker, and a buddy to show her what and how to do things. Yesterday Ms R had time to tell the class a little about Sara so they were not overly inquisitive when we arrived---BIG HELP!!! Ms. R read a book to the class, and Sara got a book to follow along, just like the rest of the class. During Social Studies, she got a book with the rest of the class, but she did not need to do the open book test, but she did not stand out by not getting a book from the shelf. Sara did a project "tell me about you" and she listed her favorite things as eating watermelon, watching TV, jump roping, and doing hackey sack. They had their morning snack.

I took some time away and ate lunch with Ruth.

Back to Sara's class. They went to music and I wish I had a movie camera with me. Today was free dance day-to make sure they get the required PE time, since the schools are cutting down on this. One child got to choose a dance off of the list, and off they went. Sara had about 7 girls hovering around her to help. She would look at me with the biggest smile and giggle. Next off to gym. She had a blast there too. Next to lunch, and no problems. Next to recess, and I went home for the day.
I feel confident that she is in good hands and is comfortable. So far Sara has taught her class how to count on their fingers the Chinese way, yes it is different from ours. We took one of Sara's Chinese CDs in and they listened to it during snack, including ABC and Happy Birthday in Mandarin.


I can not wait for the girls to come home and find out how the rest of Ruth and Sara's days went.

1 comment:

Angel said...

That is wonderful! I'm so glad to know things went well. I will tell Rodney and Chase because they've been asking about her. We miss you all so much!